We followed through with our plans with ‘China’. He was admitted for full workup and I got great information from Dr. Colin (from Melbourne bird clinic) and he confirmed the diagnosis of bumblefoot based on the pictures I emailed him. I took lots of footage but will not bore you with all of it. I will just give you a brief rundown on what we did.
First we gave ‘China’ a premedication which includes sedation & pain relief properties. This was followed by a gas down anaesthetic via a mask and then intubation and maintenance on isoflurane anaesthetic.
The procedures that followed included: xraying both China’s hind legs, probing & flushing his lump & then applying a bandage on it.
We simply seemed like we were right on track and China had a great anaesthetic without any complications.
HOWEVER, disaster struck on recovery.
We suddenly noticed his bandage was soaked with blood. We applied more pressure on the bandage but it did not stop the bleeding. When we removed the bandage, we found that the area we probed was hemorrhaging and it was very challenging to track the bleeder and ligate it. We had to put China under full anaesthetic again and chemically cauterised the bleeder which took some time. At that stage, I was very distressed because poor China had lost a lot of blood for a bird. I had to call the owner and explain his critical situation to prepare her for the worst case scenario. Thankfully we contained the bleeding and he has recovered very well. We kept him in hospital overnight for close observation.
He was bright & chirpy this morning & enjoyed heaps of attention.
We even took video footage of mr. personality while he entertained us with his preening tactics.
The good news is that we ruled out infection embedded in his bones at this stage.
We have started treating his bumblefoot and hope we can cure it. It is early days to say but I will keep you posted. Hope you enjoy all the videos!
- Goose Specialist Alert! (rayyathevet.com)